Research Finance

Resources and funding opportunities 

Current funding opportunities through the Office of Research.

If you are submitting an application for funding, please contact Andrea Pinos, Research Resource Manager, Electrical and Computer Engineering.

Resources and contacts

Research Finance Team for Electrical and Computer Engineering:

Andrea Pinos, Research Resource Manager

Aida Martinez, Research Appointment Coordinator

Rosalind Klein, Research Finance Coordinator

Betty Slowinski, Research Finance Coordinator

If you do not know who administers your research account(s) in the department, see the Research Finance Coordinators List.

Campus contacts in other offices to support researchers

Contacts in the Engineering Research Office

Contacts in the Office of Research

Policies relevant to research

If you cannot find the policy you are looking for, please visit the Secretariat website.

Guidelines relevant to research

Expense Eligibility/Ineligibility by Agency

Research forms

If you cannot find the form(s) you are looking for, please visit the Office of Research website.

Research funded/visitor appointments

Minimum wage is $11.00 per hour.

IMPORTANT: Effective October 1, 2015, minimum wage will increase to $11.25 per hour.

Requests for appointment must be submitted to the Department 2 months prior to the appointment start date for processing, compliance review, and payroll purposes.

Appointments are inclusive of the following titles:

  1. Post-doctoral Fellow
  2. Research Associate
  3. Research Assistant
  4. Research Award Recipient
  5. Visiting Professor
  6. Visiting Researcher
  7. Visiting Scholar
  8. Visiting Scientist

Immigration Information for Research Funded Hiring:

Visiting Students (from Participating Canadian Universities)

Visiting students from participating Canadian universities conducting part of their thesis research, collaborating on a PI's research project or using UW resources/equipment/labs fall under the CAGS Canadian Graduate Student Research Mobility Agreement and enroll as a visiting research student at UW.

The agreement details the process and administration, a template for the host university letter and the Visiting Graduate Student Research Authorization Form. The home university supervisor submits the letter and form for approval from the home university Dean of Graduate Studies. Following approval, the home university Dean sends to the host Dean for approval.

Hiring Co-op Students

If you are thinking about hiring a Co-op student you may consider applying for an undergraduate Research Internship (URI). The URI is a funding initiative to encourage faculty members to hire undergraduate students to work on research under their supervision. For more information please visit the Undergraduate Research Internship (URI) Program website.

To initiate the hiring process, you must complete a Job Registration Form.

Your job will be placed in JobMine, the University's online recruitment system. The university has further instructions on the hiring of co-op students.

Getting your Co-op student paid

As soon as your Co-op student accepts your offer of employment, it is your responsibility to begin the paperwork process immediately to ensure the student is paid in a timely manner.

  1. Complete the Temporary Employment Authorization Form and submit it to your Research Finance Administrator for processing, compliance review, and payroll purposes.
  2. Send the Co-op student to Human Resources to sign the appropriate paperwork (e.g. direct deposit form, etc.)


Volunteers in the department need to have this form completed.

Payroll Forms


Human Resources has additional payroll forms.

There is also a form for on-campus employment confirmation for international students, which should be printed on University of Waterloo letterhead.